1. Choose the degree program at HKS you wish to study
o Art in Social Contexts. Art Theray and Art Education, B.A.
o Dance and Theatre in Social Contexts, B.A.
o Social Work, B.A.
o Fine Arts, B.F.A.
o Art and Theatre in Social Contexts, M.A/M.F.A.
2. Check if you meet the entry requirements, including the German language
proficiency requirement (see below)
3. Check the application deadline:
- Bachelor's program Art in Social Context. Art Therapy and Art Education and Bachelor's program Fine Arts
Deadline 31 May (for winter semester)
Deadline 17 Dec (for summer semester)
- Bachelor's program Theatre in Social Context. Theatre Pedagogy
Deadline 31 May (for winter semester)
- Master's program Art and Theatre in Social Contexts
Deadline 17 Dec (for winter semester)
If you are applying for funding, take into consideration funding application deadlines.
4. Submit your application at our Application Portal.
Overview of documents to be submitted:
Further Information about the documents to be submitted
- Completed online application - Please fill out your application form at our Application Portal, here.
- Certified translation of higher secondary school certificate in German For the Master's program, please submit a copy of the applicant's Bachelor Degree Certificate. Applicants must have successfully completed an undergraduate degree in the Arts, Design, any Social Field.
a. For Degrees completed outside of the EU, please obtain a ZAB Certificate, confirming
the international recognition of your qualifications. You can find more and get your
documents certified here: ZAB.
b. Applicants from the People's Republic of China are requested to submit the certificate
issued by the Academic Examinations Authority Beijing (APS).
- Curriculum vitae
a. (Not required for BA Dance and Theatre in Social Contexts), 20-30 images of your most recent artwork saved in a sorted PDF file or packaged folder. The choice of artistic medium is entirely your own. Please label each work with the medium/materials and date.
b. M.A./M.F.A-Applicants should submit a portfolio of artistic work or social engagement in max. 10 pages as DIN A4, or PPT saved as a PDF File. This can include recent artworks, catalogues or documents. As mentioned above, the choice of artistic medium is your own. Please label each work with a title, medium/materials and date.
Portfolios should demonstrate the applicant's commitment to their artistic process along with the development of an identity as an artist.
5. German language test certificate: A language certificate at B2 Level from any of the following sources:
- Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang (DSH), Level B2
Test Deutsch als Fremdsprache (TestDaF), Level 4 (For BA Fine Arts, Level 3)
- Deutsche Sprachdiplom (DSD), Level 2 (For BA Fine Arts, Level 1)
- German Test section of the Assessment Programm Studienkollegs
- Certificate of Goethe-Institut, Level B2 (For BA Fine Arts, Level B1)
6. One passport size photo as JPG or PDF file
7. Statement of motivation (1-2 Pages) should describe
- Your personal, and research interests
- Your career goals
- Reasons for applying to the program
- Your relevant qualifications including collegiate, professional, and community activities, and any other substantial accomplishments
- If possible, please name your preferred academic and artistic advisor (one of them must be teaching staff of HKS).
Your application form, portfolio and academic record will be assessed by our admission committee.
If your application meets the course entry requirements, you will be invited to attend an application interview with our faculty.
The interview will be held in person at the university or digitally by video conference. Results will be announced normally within 14 days of the interview.
Upon your acceptance to a Study Program at our University, the matriculation documents will be sent to you to be filled out and signed.
Meanwhile, you will need to apply for a visa to study in Germany if you do not hold an EU/EEA passport.
Please check with the German Embassy in your country about the latest immigration and visa requirements.