> Art in Social Contexts. Art Theray and Art Education, B.A.
>Theatre in Social Contexts. Theatre Pedagogy, B.A.
> Fine Arts, B.F.A.
> Art and Theatre in Social Contexts, M.A/M.F.A.
2. Check if you meet the entry requirements, including the German language proficiency requirement
3. Check application deadline:
Deadline 15. May (start: winter semester)
Deadline 15. Dec. (start: summer Term)
Deadline 15. April (start: winter semester)
Deadline 15 May (start: winter semester)
4. Submit your application form and other required documents online
5. Await decision
Your application form, portfolio and academic record will be assessed by our admission committee.
If your application meets the course entry requirements, you may be invited to attend an interview, a portfolio review or - for applicants Theatre in Social Context - you are invited to attend a two-days entry examination.
The interview will normally be held at the university or by phone (by phone only for applicants from abroad). We will inform you about the acceptance as soon as possible.
Once you have received an offer of a place on a course, the registration form will be sent to you.
Meanwhile, you will need to apply for a visa to study in the Germany if you do not hold an EU/EEA passport.
Please check with German Embassy in your country about the latest immigration requirements on visa page on its website.
To apply for a study program at HKS, you are required to submit
1. Completed online application
2. Certified translation of higher secondary school certificate in German language
For the Master’s program, please submit a copy of the applicant’s first degree certificate. Applicants must have successfully completed an undergraduate degree in arts, design OR any disciplines.
Note: Applicants from the People’s Republic of China are requested to submit the certificate issued by the Academic Examinations Authority Beijing (APS).
3. Curriculum vitae
4. Portfolio (not requestet for the B.A.-program Theatre in Social Context. Theatre Pedagogy), including at least 20 of your recent artwork. Artwork can be attached in various forms; drawing, painting, object, installation (photo of artworks).
Applicants for the M.A./M.F.A-program are requested to include 20 digital images of the recent artwork in PDF FORMAT portfolio, catalogue or document. As above mentioned, Artwork can be in various forms; drawing, painting, object, installation (photo of artworks). Each image must be numbered and titled with descriptions.
Portfolios should demonstrate the applicant’s commitment to their art making along with the development of an identity as an artist.
5. Official German language test certificate
Test Deutsch als Fremdsprache (TestDaF) - TDN4 (Fine Art: level 3)
Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang (DSH) - level 2 (Fine Art: level 1)
BZ language certificate C1 (Fine Art: B1)
For more information about the tests, visit
6. One passport size photos
7. Statement of motivation (max. 10 pages) should describe
Note: Statement of motivation is required for the Master’s program only.
Am Wiestebruch 68
Tel.: +49 4205 - 39 49 0
Fax: +49 4205 - 39 49 79